Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pounding Out Art

Day three of three. Considering the challenges we've faced trying to produce a stop motion animation project in such a short amount of time, I'm very pleased to announce that we have something to show for it! There's still a few details to wrap up, but the meat of it is finished. I wanted to post the video of it today, but ran out of time at the last minute and had to catch our bus back to the hotel. I promise to post it by Monday.
the video is about as far from polished as animation gets, but it makes me laugh, and we had fun creating it. I got to try using a home made blue screen for the first time. That was tough. I also got to try making wire figure that could be easily animated and stay standing on his own. That was tough. I also got to do it all with as much hand flailing communication as with words. Yu Zhouren was a great sport, and kept a positive attitude the whole time. He's generous, artistically talented and has a sense of humor. I wish we had picked a project that took more advantage of his talents. Part of me wants to speak chinese and have more academic conversations with him. Another part of me is happy that we clumsily and eagerly try to share ideas even though most of what we say doesn't make any sense to the other person.
Just before we left the new campus, Yu Zhouren gave me an awesome pair of woven straw slippers and a simple wooden model to build because he remembered that I like working with wood. Now, if I could just come up with something as thoughtfull to give him.

No comments: