Monday, September 29, 2008

Hacky-sack meets Shuttle-Cock

This is a retrospective entry about the first project I undertook in China. All throughout my travels in SE Asia, I interacted with local children playing "kick-kick". Kick-shuttle-cock is the national sport of Vietnam, a favorite pass-time of Cambodia, and very popular in China as well. The local players were invariably surprised and quite pleased that I was able to play with them. My experience with hack-sack gave me the skills to keep up with most of the people I found playing "kick-kick". Very few activities got me smiling with the locals as quickly as kick-shuttle-cock.
I brought with me to Asia, five of my own hacky sacks to share with people I met along the way. I had no idea that they would have their own sport so similar to hacky sack. A kick shuttle-cock looks very different from a hacky-sack (or foot bag) but functions much the same. A feather, or group of feathers, attached to a washer shaped base is the basic form of a kick shuttle-cock. because of the feathers it flies a bit slower than a hacky sack, and has more directionality, but is otherwise almost identical in function.
In response to the mixing of cultures that I experienced I thought it would be very appropriate to make a new toy that is a hybrid of the hacky-sack and kick shuttle-cock. Using scrap material from a local tailor, small peas from the grocery store and feathers from a feather duster, I fashioned my own "hacky-cock" if you will.
Here is a photo of the two prototype designs, as displayed at the exhibition in Jinan.
P.S. They worked fabulously!

No comments: