Monday, September 15, 2008

How to Find Your Mate

As we stroll through a park with the SUAD students, one of them says "Who wants a new girlfriend, or new boyfriend?" Li Li, Brooke's partner, beckons to Brooke and laughs. She says, "Come on, let's find a new boyfriend." Brooke asks why, and says she's happy with one she's got (Awwww). It turns out, there's an entire section of the park set up for personal ads. I don't know if this is a once a year thing, or every day. Either way, it was full of people browsing the ads. Li Li said that it's mostly parents looking for a match for their kids.
Jared (Yu Zhaorun, whose name I keep mis-spelling) and I ended up lost for a little while. So we just sat on the side of the small mountain, looked out over Jinan, drank iced tea and smoked a cigarette. I pulled out my Chinese phrase book and we perused it, finding ways to make small talk.
On the way down we stopped to shoot a bow and arrow - sort of like at an amusement park. I won a rabbit tail keychain.
After the park we went to KTV, which stands for Karaoke Television. It's the classiest karaoke place I've ever seen. We rented an entire private room, and spent most of the afternoon singing karaoke with the reverb turned all the way up. The chinese students, on the whole, were definitely better at karaoke than us americans were, but we put on a pretty good show too.


No comments: