Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I want that toy!

While we were in Mui Ne, enjoying the gazillions of gorgeous shells that litter the beach (intermingled with a healthy amount of trash that the last storm blew in), I met a fellow from Austria with a toy that I MUST have. I think the correct term is "power kite". He had what looked very much like a kite-boarding kite, but it was smaller and didn't float on water. Too big for your typical recreational kite, too small for kite boarding or paragliding. He was sliding and bounding down the beach and through the shallow surf as if perfectly balanced with the force of the wind on his kite. Curiosity got the best of me and I chased him down the beach to find out more.
Better than just information I got to fly the kite. With the two control lines in my hands, wrapped around my wrists with neoprene padding, I stood there wondering why nothing was happening. The kite hovered quietly about a hundred feet above me, fluttering slightly. It wasn't untill I began working the kite back and forth that it started playing with me. With a little practice I was skidding accross the sand, wide eyed and laughing.
I always thought kite flying was for kids, and I was right - this was just a reminder that part of me will always be just a little kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would expect nothing less...:)

Anonymous said...

sounds very cool. looking forward to seeing you on one.